Sunday, March 06, 2011

Our turn to cook

It was our turn to cook for our friends Andy and Michelle Hinselwood this weekend. Rachel got us some lamb shanks from Maurice Thornley the butcher in Romiley. The rest was down to me. I tried a lamb tangine with apricots, tomatoes and various nuts. I was pretty pleased with the end result. But it was the starter that was a real stretch.

I liked the look of Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe for a pomegranate and chicory salsa with haloumi. The comments underneath tell a tale though - people complaining you can't get the ingredients. Well, the haloumi was easy enough, but A.C. Neal in Romiley didn't rate the pomegranates on offer at the market so he didn't have any. He did have coriander, parsley and chicory. And luckily the Co-op in Marple had pomegranates. The only thing I couldn't get was the pomegranate molasses. I made do with maple syrup, which seemed to do OK. I'm intrigued now about this mystery ingredient and how it is a stable in Lebanese food, my favourite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reckon you could get Pomegranate molasses from the Turkish supermarket. Venus on Anson Road jsut down from the MRI. There isnt much you cant get in there for Middle Eastern ingredients

Anonymous said...

I reckon you could get Pomegranate molasses from the Turkish supermarket. Venus on Anson Road jsut down from the MRI. There isnt much you cant get in there for Middle Eastern ingredients

Michael Taylor said...

Good shout. The spices are in the same position as Debbie Harry was on stage at the International 2 in 1981