Saturday, March 26, 2011

Marple's shops and restaurants

Marple's main shopping centre is currently the star attraction in some new BBC comedy called White Van Man, starring Will Mellor. One of the locations is Hollins, a hardware shop where they seem to have disconsolate grumpiness down to a fine art. I remain loyal, but only tentatively.

Other new shops in the centre have popped up. Urban Gypsy is a new deli and cafe at the bleak end of Stockport Road. I wish them well, but it's not the best location. Further up on the right is a new bike shop, a terrific addition to the range of shops. On the restaurant side the Basmati Hut opposite Marple station is to become a Purple Pakora, part of an established chain of curry houses in south Manchester.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"disconsolate grumpiness" - love it !don't give up on them just rise above it, we need the stock in the shop more than a smile.

Anonymous said...

We found that after we'd lived here for about 20 years, the disconsolate grumpiness occasionally gave way to a watery smile.......

Anonymous said...

How very odd. I've always found the Hollins hardware store people very helpful and pleasant but then I don't particularly want the person who is advising me on hammers and bath plugs to start wandering off into a conversation about my holidays/social life/car, etc. I agree with Mellorview, we need a shop like that. Try asking for DIY advice from the children who staff Wickes!

Anonymous said...

Its NOT Called Basmati Hut Its Just Called Basmati..

Anonymous said...

Hollins is great shop - a fantastic asset to Marple in my view. It's a treasure trove of home essentials.

The folk there are always very helpful, if a little smug about my lack of DIY knowledge, when I need anything.

Anyway give me honest grumpiness over fake joviality any day - gives the place character