Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Toby Young's book - as reviewed in the lift this morning


As I was on trains for 7 hours yesterday I did a fair bit of reading and listening to podcasts (and some work, honest). And I really did bore someone for 8 floors this morning while I told them this, my book review in a lift:

Managed to finish Tony Young's book - The Sound of No Hands Clapping. It's popular in any review of Toby Young to rather reinforce his image as a hapless loser by slagging off his work. I actually enjoyed it. He seems bluntly honest, which I like, slightly conceited, which I don't, but he is very funny.

As a reader of his column in the Spectator, I did notice he reuses the material in his book. I especially liked the story about asking his poor wife to pose for a picture in the maternity hospital with a black baby and emailing it to his friends with the message - "Marsellus was born today". He also has a story in the book where Sean Langan tells him the identity of a heckler, in the column it's Derek Draper, but the point is still the same. And it is still funny second time round.

1 comment:

MommyHeadache said...

I really liked the book, glad you did too.