Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Voting rights

Who I vote for is between me and the ballot box and the readers of this blog. But I think it's important to vote. With local elections coming up tomorrow, we face a fairly simple decision. All three of our councillors seem really nice people. I think they embody the values of community service fairly well. They respond to letters, they listen to the public and they return phone calls. When our neighbours took on Kelly's Nite Club, they were very understanding, supportive and reasonable.

When Councillor Susan Ingham came round last night asking if her pal Shan Alexander can count on our vote, I couldn't think of a reason why they shouldn't. Though the see through bin bags still really annoy me.

So, though I can't understand the point of the Liberal Democrats, my own view of local council politics is that it's more important to judge a candidate by the content of their character than the colour of their rosette.

No comments: